Author Topic: Ocular migraines  (Read 589 times)

Bayrage

• View Profile
Ocular migraines
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
What  do you suggest for ocular migraines? I'm a senior female and thinking about putting raw cannabis in my mornings smoothie. 

Larry Wilson

• View Profile
Re: Ocular migraines
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:37:21 AM »
You should be evaluated by a neurologist, and treatment should be tailored to your symptoms.

This type of migraine is very rare, and very often responds to non-opiate anti-inflammatory agents such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. People often have no associated pain or discomfort. If they are frequent, then you should be on prophylactic therapy as the visual loss associated with ocular or retinal migraines can be permanent.

If you are suffering from migraines with photophobia, that is not really an "ocular migraine," but rather a more 'typical' migraine manifestation. If you are experiencing a small area of visual loss or a bright spot followed by a severe headache and these are frequent, then you are more likely experiencing a pre-migraine aura which can be difficult to explain as different than an ocular migraine. It is possible that cannabanoids may provide relief, but there is no evidence to show that true ocular migraines require cannabanoids or will be alleviated with cannabanoids.

drd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
I think you need to clarify what your symptoms are.

Did your eye doctor tell you this was transient ischemia to the eye causing temporary vision loss (emergency) and you had a past event that resolved or do you permanent vision loss in one eye?

Or are you having optic migraines (rare as the previous poster said) where you transiently are loosing vision in one eye?

Dr. D

Bayrage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 01:00:03 PM »
Orbits have been scanned plus MRI of the brain and MRA with contrast of the head. All looks very good. Change in the weather( fronts) seem to be the trigger, especially after a day of flying. I hope to try a few raw leaves every day and hope it stops or makers fewer migraines. Thank you very much for your replies. I'll keep you posted.